Medicaid eligibility reviews are returning.
Here is how you can help to ensure your patients maintain coverage.
- Typically, people who receive Medicaid go through an annual process to confirm whether they still qualify for the program. But, during the pandemic, the federal government instituted a policy, known as “continuous enrollment,” that prevented states from disenrolling people, even if they no longer qualified or failed to update their eligibility information.
- But, on April 1, 2023, continuous enrollment will end, kicking off a year-long process called “unwinding,” where everyone whose Medicaid coverage has been extended as part of the public health emergency will need to reevaluate their eligibility.
- We are preparing now to begin sending letters and renewal packets to those members where more information is needed to determine if a member is still eligible. This will occur over a 12-month time period.
- We want everyone who is eligible for Medicaid to maintain their coverage.
- We will use our own information and data sources to renew coverage for as many members as possible, without asking those members to take action. Many eligibility reviews, however, will require members to respond to mail.
- It is VITAL that Medicaid members make certain Medicaid has their current contact information, and not just their mailing address. Additionally, Medicaid will also need member’s cell phone numbers and email addresses as back-up methods of contact.
- There are several ways members can make changes to their contact information. They are all listed on la.gov and also listed here:
- log on to la.gov
- email MyMedicaid@la.gov
- call their health plan on the number on their ID card or
- call Medicaid’s Customer Service Center at 1-888-342-6207. Assistance is available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- in-person help is available at all regional Medicaid offices. For the nearest office, visit ldh.la.gov/medicaidoffices
- Partners - you can help! In addition to helping us spread the word, you can download a contact information form for use in helping Medicaid members update their information.
- Also, healthcare providers and outreach partners will have an approved LDH Contact Update Information Form that members can complete.
- Mailing of renewal letters will be staggered across 12 months, and it will take 14 months to complete the redetermination process for all Medicaid members.
- The first batch of renewal letters will be mailed out at the end of April and beginning of May. Members who are no longer eligible will close at the end of June 2023.
- Members should make sure their contact information is up to date, watch their mail for letters from the Louisiana Department of Health/Louisiana Medicaid and follow the instructions in the letter and respond to renewals and requests for more information.
- Members who do not respond to renewal letters or requests for information risk losing their coverage, even if they are eligible.
- Individuals enrolled in Medicaid because of a pregnancy are guaranteed 12 months of coverage postpartum.
- Medicaid Unwind Flyers in English, Spanish and Vietnamese: Download here
- Medicaid Unwind Posters in English, Spanish and Vietnamese: Download here
- Medicaid Unwind Poster with English and Spanish: Download here
- Medicaid Unwind Push Cards in English, Spanish and Vietnamese: Download here
- Medicaid Unwind Fact Sheet: Download here
- Contact Information Form:
- Medicaid Youtube Videos in English and Spanish: View here
- Medicaid Unwind Billboards: Download here
- These can be used for banners, social media graphics, web graphics, etc.
- If you need additional materials, contact Damiane Ricks at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medicaid Unwind Facebook and Twitter Banners: Download here
- Medicaid Unwind Contact Information Forms: Download here